Friday, April 8, 2011

My Prepartions

It is now just four weeks from tomorrow that I leave on my medical mission to Cameroon.  My travel immunizations(ouch..just kidding) are in progress, only 2 more injections to go.  I attended a weekend retreat with Mission Doctors Association last week and heard a wonderful talk by Dr. Joe Llwellyn from Alaska who had been to the same hospital as I will be attending.  Trials and tribulations of being in a remote hospital but with many rewards from the work one can do.  I am taking a mantra with me: 'work from the mind and not the heart' as one of the Sisters at the hospital reminded Dr. Joe following a difficult case.  My heart will be my driving force, but I will remember to WORK from the mind.

5 comments:

  1. This has long been a dream for Eddy, to practice medicine where the patient-doctor relationship is direct. For years as president of Mission Doctors he has attended going away parties for the long term doctors and their families, raised money for surgical lamps, vans, and other vital supplies, and now he is making his first field trip. Hm, will he ever be the same?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eddy,
    This will be quite an adventure! I look forward to following your journey, vicariously. Don't show us any under-the-skin insects, please!
    Have always wanted to be your pen-pal.
    Cheers,
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Eddy, congratulations for this adventure you are just starting. Katy and me are so proud of you (and of course of Mary Lou)and we gonna follow your notes trough this blog.

    Mucha suerte y entrega todo lo mejor de ti en Africa. Cariños desde Chile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eddy,
    You must be so excited. It is so important to follow our dreams and you are an inspiration to us all. Keep us posted.
    Lots of luck!
    Sisso

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Dr. Malphus. I love how you take the time to help children in other countries. I can see how you really care about the world
    Spencer Towill

    ReplyDelete