Friday, May 13, 2011

We are not in Kansas Anymore, Toto

It has now been 3 work days under my belt in Njinikom and I must say it is even more interesting than I could ever have imagined.  I am truly trying to 'work from my head' which makes the cases I am seeing so rewarding, yet my heart keeps pulling me too and this is good as I try to help my interesting charges here.  

The case of the 2 yr old girl who is about the size of a 1 yr old with severe malnutrition and skin lesions that was near death when her grandmother brought her to the hospital from a very far distance last nite, and the 12 day old with a severe staph skin infection that looks like someone dropped him in boiling water, and the 14 yr old girl who presents with weakness, unable to stand up without support who most likely has a brain tumor but the family cannot afford to take her to the 'City' for the CAT scan to make a diagnosis, let alone the treatment.  It is a different world where you cannot always make things perfect again, like we are so often expected to do at home but trying and providing the best one can is rewarding and goes far. 

Thanks for all your support and well wishes.  This is a wonderful experience and opportunity for me and the people I am privileged to help.

2 comments:

  1. There was some difficulty getting your blog yesterday, but Mary Lou was thoughtful to send your letter as an email. It is fascinating to hear both about what you are doing, and how you feel and think. I appreciated the phrase and challenge of "working from your head"
    My thoughts go to your patients, their difficult lives, and the poverty in which they learn to survive as best they can.

    It's a hot, hot day in South Pasadena, where life is relatively simple; making Gypsy's food, baking some Silver Palate brownies and considering what to do or not do in the afternoon. This is the privilege of retirement!

    Whenever I go out on the patio to check on my first "patio" tomato plant, I think of you, hoping I can live up to your standard of
    'to-mah-toes'. I think they're going to be cherry-like. I remind myself that there's always next year!

    Hoping to see the photos you mentioned in the email and happy to hear that you have been made comfortable by your host and hostess.
    Fondly,
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Dr. Malphus! Let me know if you need a curbside with that malabsorption case.
    Will continue following your adventures.
    Best wishes,
    Doron

    ReplyDelete