Monday, May 16, 2011

Who but YOU can stand up for children's needs?

I was called from the children's ward yesterday morning to go to the Maternity ward where I had admitted the 12 day old male infant with the severe staph skin infection that looks like scalded skin.  The father had arrived and was wanting to take the child out of the hospital and seek the care of a 'Traditional Healer' ( a local healer who treats with herbs and other tribal remedies).  The staff was quite upset and very negative about this whole issue, but best to get the story first.  Dr. Jim asked if I wanted him to go with me to speak to the dad as I had only been local for a few days, but I said if I can be ok in South Central L.A. then I could probably handle this.   
 
In the end the man was quite complimentary towards the care but was concerned about the bill he might receive (after all it is about $2 a day for the room fee about equivalent to the average daily wage in Cameroon).  The infant might well have had the infection become more severe without the proper treatment, especially returning to the environment that had fostered the infection.
 
I was able to allay both the father's concerns and the mother's worries supported by all you who have so kindly donated to my mission through this web site.  I am happy to report that little Desmond is continuing with his treatment and all seems to be on track.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Eddy,
    Sending a watery hello from South Pasadena to Camaroon.

    I will be thinking about Desmond and his family and happy in the knowledge that he is in your skilled hands, rather than those of the Traditional Healer. It sound as though he is on the road to wellness.

    Arrived at a luau at the loft on Saturday night just in time to have the pig's cheek! Paid the price, but probably will do it again....next year!

    Speaking of food, how's yours?
    Fondly,
    Alice

    ReplyDelete